Mon 28th Jan 2019 - For perfect current control for high speed stepper motors, take a look at the new Trinamic TMC 2160 IC
The TMC2160 is a high-power stepper motor driver IC with SPI interface. It features industries’ most advanced stepper motor driver with simple Step / Direction interface.
Using external transistors, highly dynamic, high torque drives can be realized. Based on TRINAMICs sophisticated SpreadCycle and StealthChop choppers, the driver ensures absolutely noiseless operation combined with maximum efficiency and best motor torque. High integration, high energy efficiency and a small form factor enable miniaturized and scalable systems for cost effective solutions.
The fully compatible TMC5160 offers an additional motion controller to make stepper motor control even easier.
Features and Benefits:
- 2-phase stepper motors up to 20A coil current (external MOSFETs)
- Step/Dir Interface with microstep interpolation microPlyer™
- Voltage Range 8 … 60V DC
- SPI Interface
- Highest Resolution 256 microsteps per full step
- stealthChop2™ for quiet operation and smooth motion
- Resonance Dampening for mid-range resonances
- spreadCycle™ highly dynamic motor control chopper
- dcStep™ load dependent speed control
- stallGuard2™ high precision sensorless motor load detection
- coolStep™ current control for energy savings up to 75%
- Passive Braking and freewheeling mode
- Full Protection & Diagnostics
- Compact Size 9x9mm2
- TQFP48 package
High voltage multi purpose use.....
The TMC2160 scores with advanced motor commutation algorithms, combined with powerful external MOSFET driver stages, and high-quality current regulation. It offers a versatility that covers a wide spectrum of applications from battery powered, high efficiency systems up to embedded applications with 20A motor current per coil. Based on TRINAMICs unique features stallGuard2, coolStep, dcStep, spreadCycle, and stealthChop, the TMC2160 optimizes drive performance. It trades off velocity vs. motor torque, optimizes energy efficiency, smoothness of the drive, and noiselessness. The small form factor of the TMC2160 keeps costs down and allows for miniaturized layouts. Extensive support at the chip, board, and software levels enables rapid design cycles and fast time-to-market with competitive products. High energy efficiency and reliability deliver cost savings in related systems such as power supplies and cooling. For smaller designs, the compatible, integrated TMC2130 driver provides 1.4A of motor current.