Wed 28th Nov 2018 - Trinamic launches dedicated EtherCAT motion controller IC
The TMC8670 is a single-axis servo motor controller for industrial automation, embedded servo control and other automated equipment applications. It is suitable for 3-phase BLDC and 2-phase stepper motors. The device is designed for an operating voltage of 1.2V and 3.3V. The device provides an a/b/n incremental, digital hall, analog hall and analog sincos encoder interface.
TMC8670 has an integrated EtherCAT slave controller and a CANopen over EtherCAT protocol processor.
- Field Oriented Control (FOC) servo controller
- Torque Control (FOC), velocity control, position control
- Sensor Engine (Hall analog/digital, encoder analog/digital)
- Support for 3-Phase PMSM and 2-Phase Stepper Motors
- PWM Engine including SVPWM
- Integrated EtherCAT slave controller, CoE protocol CiA 402 drive profile
- UART interface
- Dual encoder
- Semiconductor Handling
- Factory Automation
- Laboratory Automation
- IIoT Applications
"We see EtherCAT gaining relevance in the embedded automation domain, where tight space constraints drive miniaturization,” explains Michael Randt, Founder and CEO of Trinamic. "This component is designed with precise and dynamic robot drives in mind, where controllers and servo drives are distributed in the joints. Since we’ve built the drive electronics for KUKAs youBot several years ago, more and more small, decentralized robot designs appear on the market demanding space saving and high-performance solutions.”