Tue 31st Oct 2017 - The TMC2041 – Trinamic’s new dual-axis stepper motor driver
Dual-Axis Monolithic IC Stepper Motor Driver for Exceptionally Quiet Operation.
Motion Control announces a new dual-axis stepper motor driver IC with integrated MOSFET power switches. The new TMC2041
delivers 1.5A (peak) at 26V supply voltage per motor, meaning it’s suitable for driving motors from NEMA 8 to NEMA 17. Based on Trinamic’s high-performance spreadCycle™ chopper, it allows for precise and smooth motor operation and up to 75% energy savings using coolStep™.
"The TMC2041 successfully combines several of Trinamic’s technological innovations into a single device. It achieves a new maximum for motor voltage and current specs in a monolithic easy to use motor driver for 2 stepper motors,”
explains Michael Randt, Founder and CEO of Trinamic
. "Ease-of-use was the guideline for our designers, as well as cost efficiency. The result is an integrated circuit that enables superior control of stepper motors for any application, relieving designers of the need for specific motor control know-how."
With an easy to use step and direction interface and the option to read back a variety of diagnostics values via SPI, the TMC2041
is designed to work with common motion control algorithms. The integrated step pulse interpolation engine microPlyer™ accepts a step pulse resolution of 16 pulses per full step while interpolating the current control to 256 microsteps, resulting in superior smoothness of the motion.
The compact TMC2041
is ideally suited for office automation, 3D printers, medical applications, and other applications where machinery works in close proximity to human operators, as these environments often have strict noise limitations. Available from September 2017 in a QFN48 (7x7) package. An evaluation kit, proven and tested reference designs and a package of libraries allow for fast design in.
Features and benefits
- Two 2-phase stepper motors
- Drive Capability up to 2x 1.1A coil current (2x 1.5A peak)
- Parallel Option for one motor at 2.2A (3A peak)
- Voltage Range 4.75 … 26V DC
- SPI & Single Wire UART for configuration and diagnostics
- Highest Resolution up to 256 microsteps per full step
- microPlyer™ microstep interpolation
- spreadCycle™ highly dynamic motor control chopper
- stallGuard2™ high precision sensorless motor load detection
- coolStep™ current control for energy savings up to 75%
- Full Protection & Diagnostics
- Compact Size 7x7mm2 QFN48 package